Employment & Benefits
all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh
Benefits: Child Tax Credit 2016/2017
Contrarily to Child Benefit which is a “universal benefit”, Child Tax Credit is based on the parents’ income.
In the UK and Scotland you may be eligible to receive child tax credit for:
• any child who lives with you until 31st August after their 16th birthday
• children under 20, if they're in certain types of education or training - full-time, 'A' levels, or Foundation Learning.
If you need assistance and advice contact the Tax Credit Helpline and Tax Credit Office.
You must let the Tax Credit Office know of any changes in your and your child’s circumstances as soon as possible after they happened.
You need to phone the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900 to request a Claim Pack (lines open Monday to Friday 08.00 to 20.00 and Saturday 08.00 to 16.00).
If phoning from abroad call 0044 289 053 8192.
When you phone the Helpline you will be asked a number of questions so be ready to provide:
• your National Insurance (NI) number – to know how to obtain your NI number read the article in the “Administration section" on this website
• your as well as your partner’s income for the last tax year – runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next – which can be obtained from your P60 or your final payslip for the tax year
• details of any benefits you get e.g. contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Carer's Allowance
• details of any childcare payments you make as long as you use a registered or approved childcare provider registered with Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland (SCSWIS)
• details of other income you get like savings interest, pensions or rent.
If you don’t receive the Claim Pack within 2 weeks you need to phone the Tax Credit Helpline again.
Do try to claim for tax credits as soon as possible as any payments you're entitled to can usually only be backdated by up to 3 months. For example, if you have a baby on 1 January and your claim form is received on 10 July, you'll only be paid from 10 April.
Once you have filled in the form contained in the Claim Pack simply return it to:Tax Credit OfficePrestonPR1 4ATUK
To find out whether you qualify and how much you may be entitled to receive, check online on the HM Revenue & Customs website. Any payment will be made directly to your bank account.
The basic amount is up to £545 a year.
You have to renew your claim once a year. Renewal packs are sent between April and June. If you claimed tax credits after 6 April, your renewal pack is usually sent the following year.
Employment & Benefits
Key to symbols
|Ideal for families||Our rating system of 1-5 stars|
|Did you know?||Important alert|