Employment & Benefits

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Benefits: Council Tax reduction 2016/2017


If you’re on a low income and need financial help to pay your Council Tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax reduction which can be a reduction of up to 100% on your bill. 

warning-32.png Since 1 April 2013 Council Tax Benefit has been replaced with Council Tax Reduction


Check the City of Edinburgh Housing and Council Tax Benefit Eligibility website to find out whether you can claim Council Tax reduction and how much you could get.

As a rule, you can claim Council Tax reduction if:

• you pay the Council tax bill

• you are on a low income, whether from benefits or low-paid work

• you (and your partner) don't have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit). 

You may also get a Second Adult Rebate if the person you share your home with is:

• not your partner or civil partner

• aged 18 or over

• not paying you rent

• not paying Council Tax themselves

• on a low income 


How to claim Council Tax reduction?

To make a claim online go to the City of Edinburgh Housing and Council Tax Benefit Online service.

Before you start completing the online form, make sure you have the following information ready:

  • money coming in - e.g. wage slips, benefits, savings and investments
  • money going out - e.g. rent, childcare costs, payment towards the upkeep of a student
  • people who live with you - e.g. date of birth, their relationship to you, money they have coming in or going out
  • National Insurance (NI) Number


If you are a homeowner or private tenant and need assistance from the Council Tax and Benefits team at Edinburgh Council, visit the following Council’s webpage.


How much money could I get?

This is for your local council to determine based on:

• you and your partner’s income - including some benefits and tax credits

• your and your partner's savings

• your circumstances: for example your age, the size of your family and their ages, if you or any of your family are disabled, and if anyone who lives with you could help with the rent.

If you do receive Council Tax reduction, you’ll get a new bill showing the reduced amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

What are you looking for?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-licence, etc) can prove they did their best to check that the person was 18 or over. It is …
Read More

Pupils at school are entitled to fee school meals if their parents (or themselves) receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, some type of Tax Credits or support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 19…
Read More

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing from airports in the European Union and to those EU- based airlines to airports in the EU. Com…
Read More

« Previous123456...15Next »

See also:


Employment & Benefits

Can't find what you're looking for?

Try the search, another category, or register to contribute.

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility

What's new?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-…

Get this feed