Employment & Benefits

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Benefits: Working Tax Credit 2016/2017  


Working Tax Credit is based on your age and the hours that you work and get paid for. It also depends on whether you have – or are responsible for – children.


Eligibility | Claiming Working Tax Credit | How much is Working Tax

Credit? | Working Tax Credit calculator



1. You must be 16 years old or over  

2. You must reside in the UK

3. Your work must last at least 4 weeks and must be paid (even in kind)

4. Your age/ circumstances                                          

5. Your working hours per week

between 25 years old and 59 years old minimum of 30 hours 
60 years old or over minimum of 16 hours
Single with 1 or more children minimum of 16 hours
Couple with 1 or more children usually at least 24 hours (with 1 of you working at least 16 hours)

practical-info.png There is no set limit for income as it is based on your, and your partner's, circumstances.


You can use HM Revenue & customs tax credit questionnaire to check if you are eligible.


How do I claim Working Tax Credit?

To claim Working Tax Credit for the first time you need to contact the Tax Credit Helpline and Tax Credit Office using the number below and ask for a Claim Pack (the form may take up to 2 weeks to arrive).

If you are already claiming Working Tax Credit, you do not need to fill in the form again. Simply phone the number below to update your claim.


Working Tax credit contact number (From the UK): 0345 300 3900. 

Working Tax Credit contact number (from abroad): 0044 289 053 8192.

Working Tax Credit Textphone contact number: 0345 300 3909.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 08.00 to 20.00 and Saturday 08.00 to 16.00.

When you call The Tax Credit Helpline the adviser will ask you the same questions as for claiming Child Tax Credit: NI Number, household income, detail of any benefit, of childcare payment and other income.

How much is Working Tax Credit? 

Use the Working Tax Credit calculator to find out how much you could be entitled to.

Working Tax Credit rates depend on your personal circumstances and income.

Your situation Amount (per year)
Couple  Up to £2,010
Single parent Up to £2,010
You work at least 30 hours week  Up to £800
You have a disability  Up to £2,970 a year
You pay for approved childcare

Up to £122.50* (1 child)

Up to £210* (2 or more children)

* payment is made weekly.

Payment is made directly to your bank account every week or 4 weeks.

practical-info.png Even if you want to claim both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, you only need to complete one claim form.

You must be in paid work at the time you claim Working Tax Credit or starting paid work within 7 days of making your claim.   

What are you looking for?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-licence, etc) can prove they did their best to check that the person was 18 or over. It is …
Read More

Pupils at school are entitled to fee school meals if their parents (or themselves) receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, some type of Tax Credits or support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 19…
Read More

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing from airports in the European Union and to those EU- based airlines to airports in the EU. Com…
Read More

« Previous123456...15Next »

See also:


Employment & Benefits

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility