Transport & Travel

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Driving or Importing a car for less than six months 

Driving to Scotland for a short term holiday?

There is NO requirement to register your vehicle with the British authorities if you bring your car for a period of less than 6 months. In other words you don't need to notify HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - or pay any VAT. 

This normally happens when you drive your own car to come here on holidays or on a short term basis, for instance if you have a 6 months temporary contract.

The 6 months period means that you can drive your car using non-UK number plates for up to six months in a 12 month period.

This can be either one stay of six months or several shorter visits adding up to a six month period in any one 12 month period. 

This may sound obvious (and it is) but in order to legally drive your vehicle on British roads displaying non-UK plates, it must be fully registered and tax paid in the country it came from (the driver’s home country).

If you are stopped by the police whilst driving your vehicle you must be able to show you can use it in the UK without taxing and registering here. For instance, you may be asked to show proof of the length of time you have been in the UK, such as a ferry ticket. Remember the 6 months rule!


Transport & Travel

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility