Transport & Travel

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Driving or Importing a new car from the EU for more than six months

warning-32.png If you are planning to stay in Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland), for longer than a six month period, there are a few things you need to know if you want to import a car to the UK from the EU. This applies even if this is a car you bought in your home country just before coming to the UK / Scotland.

You must register, tax and insure your vehicle with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) as soon as possible after you became resident in this country. 

As from 1 July 2013, 28 countries are part of the EU:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

A NEW vehicle

A NEW vehicle is exactly what it means: it's never been on the road, or just enough to be delivered to you, and it has never been previously registered. 

To be registered in the UK as a new car, your vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA within 14 days after collection (this is normally the date of the invoice from the supplier) however, the registration period may be extended to one calendar month at peak periods (e.g. prior to 1st March and 1st September)

• have the minimum mileage needed to deliver it 

• have not been permanently registered before, and

• be a current model or a model that has stopped being made within the last two years.

practical-info.png  Practical info!

The advice given by DVLA is to transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port of entry to your home or first destination and to keep it off the road until it is registered, taxed and insured.

Where do I register my new vehicle?

The same process to register your new vehicle applies throughout the UK (and therefore Scotland).

You need to return all the original documents listed in the “Car registration” section to the main DVLA office in Swansea (Wales).

Unfortunately, all local DVLA offices have closed down. You can now access DVLA services by contacting the main DVLA office directly, or using their online services. Some services can also be accessed through selected post offices 


Car Registration

Some of the forms required to register your car can't be downloaded from the DVLA website because they include features that can’t be printed, e.g. a clear plastic window to attach a photo. They must be ordered by post.

The other registration forms are DVLA forms that you download online or you can also request an “Import Pack - Application to register an imported vehicle for use in Great Britain” online from DVLA. 

Once you have brought all the forms duly filled in, DVLA will take 2 or 3 days to process your registration. DVLA will also arrange for your new UK plate number.

Once the vehicle is registered, insured and taxed you can bring it to a garage to have the plates fitted. Remember to bring 2 forms of ID with you to the garage (driving licence and passport). There is a fee for this service.


1. V55/4 form


The purpose of the V55/4 form  is to apply for a first licence and registration of a new motor vehicle. The form is available from the Post Office (see branch finder) or can be ordered online from DVLA

You must accompany the V55/4 with 2 original forms of identity and 1 proof of UK address. 

TWO forms of identity ONE document to confirm your address in the UK

your photocard driving licence and

your EU passport


your EU national identity card


your birth certificate


your marriage certificate

current utility bill for the last three months (gas, electricity, water, landline telephone)


bank or building society statement valid within the last three months


 medical card


 council tax bill for current year 

2. First registration fee


There is a one-off fixed fee of £55 when you register your new car for the first time in the UK.

Cheques or postal orders made payable to DVLA Swansea.

3. Apply for tax disc & fees


warning-32.png Since 1 October 2014 you no longer receive the coloured paper tax disc (see below) but you still need to tax your vehicle.



Apply for a tax disc

Four weeks or so before the tax disc expires, you’ll receive a letter from DVLA called vehicle tax renewal reminder (V11 or V85/1) asking you if your circumstances have changed (e.g. you no longer have a car, or it’s been taken off the road, etc).

The reminder will have a 16 digit reference number that you'll need to use if you want to apply for your tax disc online. The reminder will also have the details of your car (plate, model) and will indicate how much the tax disc will cost you.

If you apply online you do not need to evidence the proof of a MOT certificate or car insurance. This will be checked separately by DVLA.  

If you'd rather apply for the tax disc at the Post Office, bring the DVLA letter, a valid MOT and the certificate of insurance before the expiry date. Go to a Post Office counter that deals with tax discs (big Post Offices will do whereas the small ones located in convenience stores are unlikely to).


Cost of the tax disc 

Here's a very good link to calculate the cost of your tax disc.

warning-32.png Since April 2010 owners of new cars pay a different rate of Vehicle Tax known as the First Year Rates (based on CO2 emission) for the first tax disc .

From the second tax disc onwards they will then pay the standard rate

The rates shown apply to tax discs taken out from 1 April 2015.

Band CO2 (g/km)      first-year rate   (petrol and diesel)       standard rate   (petrol and diesel)
        12 months                 6 months                  12 months                6 months              
     A          up to 100           £0 Not available  £0  Not available
 B  101 -110 £0 Not available  £20  Not available
C 111 - 120 £0 Not available  £30  Not available
D 121 - 130 £0 Not available  £110  £60.50
E 131 - 140 £130 £71.50  £130  £71.50
F 141 - 150 £145 £79.75  £145  £79.75
G 151 - 165 £185 £101.75  £185  £101.75
H 166 - 175 £300 Not available  £210  £115.50
I 176 - 185 £355 Not available  £230  £126.50
J 186 - 200 £500 Not available  £270  £148.50
  K   201 - 225 £650 Not available  £295  £162.25
L 226 - 255 £885 Not available  £500  £275
M over 255 £1,120 Not available  £515  £283.25
4. Valid British certificate of motor insurance


1. Finding a car insurance company 

. Over 60 companies in the UK provide car insurance

. Use online price comparison websites such as and

. Alternatively, the British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA) will give you information on insurance companies that provide the cover you need.

You can phone BIBA on (0044) (0)870 950 1790 or email:

warning-32.png  The certificate of motor insurance must be valid when the tax disc will start. 


2. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) 

The insurance company will ask for your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number as it is sometimes known.

 • All vehicles are assigned a unique VIN when they are manufactured which is made of a combination of 17 letters and numbers

• VINs help fighting against car theft

• VINs are recorded in accidents, insurance records, and when work is done on a vehicle by a body shop, dealership or mechanic

• Most VINs are displayed in several places on the vehicle:

   –passenger side of the windscreen

   –engraved on a metal plate usually found in the engine compartment

   –often stamped under the bonnet or in the floor panel on the driver's side 

Apply to DVLA if your vehicle does not have a VIN (for instance if it has been rebuilt or modified).


5. Evidence of the date the vehicle was collected


This is normally the date of the invoice from the supplier. The evidence should also show how the vehicle was brought into the country (either the temporary registration form, if the vehicle was driven, or evidence of transportation, if it was transported).

6. Type Approval


Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)

You only need to use an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) scheme if the vehicle you want to register in Scotland (or anywhere in the UK) is less than 10 years old. The IVA applies to passenger cars and light good vehicles (up to 3,500 kgs).

Before a vehicle can be registered and taxed, DVLA wants to be certain that your vehicle is properly designed, built and meets environmental standards, in other words, that it is suitable for use on UK roads.

For instance, you may need to change parts of the car such as headlights so that they dip to the right. 

Evidence of Type of Approval is a legal requirement so you cannot skip that part of the process!


Basic and normal IVA

Basic IVA applies to Normal IVA applies to

passenger cars and light good vehicles which are:                   

 . left-hand drive cars

. rebuilt vehicles

. personal imports

. motor caravans

. ambulances

vehicles which don't fall in the category of basic IVA, usually vehicles imported on a commercial basis.

The basic IVA is a visual inspection and tests of the vehicle, limited to parts which are easily accessible. It is carried out at a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) test centre.

To find out where your nearst DVSA centre is across England, Scotland and Wales click the following link.

You have to pay a heavy fee for the inspection of your vehicle.

You will have to provide evidence that your vehicle meets extra standards.

The compliance may be demonstrated by one or more of the following methods:

1) Directive compliance - presence of a European type approval marking on the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate

2) Comparable standards - evidence that technical standards that apply in other non-European countries (Japan, the United States and Canada for example) are the same or very similar to those required in the UK

3) Comparison test - a comparison check with a known European type approved vehicle. You need to arrange the comparison test with one of the technical services designated by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). Please be aware that some of the tests can be destructive to the vehicle.

Telephone: 0300 330 5797

4) Directive test - you need to arrange the comparison test with one of the technical services designated by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). See contact details above.

5) Model report - one way of proving your vehicle is compliant is by showing it’s the same specification as another vehicle (a ‘master vehicle’) that’s been proved compliant. 

If a model report has already been produced for your exact model of vehicle, you may be able to use it for a fee. Look for it on the DVSA list of model reports and their owners.

Otherwise, you’ll need to pay for your own tests to be carried out. These must be done by an authorised provider of ‘designated technical services’.

6) Visual inspection - Arranged through the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)

Approval Section, Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Tel : 0300 123 9000
Fax : 01792 454214
E-mail :

7) A combination of the above


How to apply?

You need to choose the correct application form depending on your type of vehicle. Send it to the address on the form.

Passenger cars form and guidance

Light Good Vehicles form and guidance

7. V267 form


The purpose of the V267 form is to declare that your vehicle is new and it should be filled in by the person or organisation importing your new vehicle.

 The form is available online from DVLA.  

8. HMRC - Vehicle VAT &Tax

Since 15 April 2013, if you import new or used vehicles into the UK from abroad for permanent use on UK roads you have to notify HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 14 days.

Use the Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) service to tell HMRC you’ve brought a vehicle into the UK.

You’ll need a Government Gateway account to use NOVA.

HMRC will use the information you provide in NOVA to work out the VAT you must pay.

You can’t use NOVA before you import your vehicle.

 practical-info.png You’ll get a late notification penalty of £5 per day if you don’t notify HMRC within 14 days of the vehicle arriving in the UK.

9.Original foreign registration documents


This is self-explanatory.

The original documents must include any documents proving that your car/vehicle was previously registered in your country and generally speaking, any documents relating to your vehicle.

10. MOT certificate


You must keep any vehicles driven on the road in a roadworthy condition. The Ministry Of Transport (MOT) test checks that your vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards.

It isn’t the same as having your vehicle serviced and doesn’t check its general mechanical condition.

You must get an MOT test every year once your vehicle is 3 years old.

The fee for the MOT for a 3 years old car (up to 8 passenger seat) is £54.85.

The fee for the MOT for a 3 years old motorbike (engine size over 200 cm3) is £29.65.

That's it!

practical-info.png  Practical info!

Remember that if your type of vehicle is not available in the UK, car parts will be harder to come by and it is unlikely you will have a warranty with the vehicle.

What are you looking for?

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing fro…
Read More

There is no law that limits a driver to a certain number of drinks, such as 2 pints of beer or 1 glass of wine but there is a ma…
Read More

1 comment
If you're coming in Edinburgh on holidays, do check out transport and travel page and the bus section in particular as the city …
Read More
Tags : , Bus transport

See also:


Transport & Travel

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility