Utilities & Services

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Useful UK phone numbers, speaking clock & non emergency police number 

BT contact number | Speaking clock number | Withholding your number Freephone numbersPaying phone numbers | Telephone area codes | Emergency phone numbers 

BT Contact Number

To contact BT, dial Freephone 150 (BT customers) or phone 0800 800 150 from non BT lines or mobiles.


Speaking Clock Number UK

Speaking clockDial 123 (on a BT phone line) to call the speaking clock. A charge applies and the number may vary on other networks.


Last Number

To know the last number that called you, dial 1471 (free).


Withholding Your Number

To withhold your own phone number, dial 141 (free) before dialing a number - hidden from who you are calling.

To permanently withhold your own phone number, dial 1470 (free or paying depending on your line provider). Ask the customer service team of your line provider.


Freephone numbers 

Freephone number begin with 08000808 and 0500.  Free from landline phones (including payphone) and normally used to call companies’ customer services/helplines. A charge applies from mobile phones.


Paying phone numbers 

Numbers beginning 08440845 and 0870 are normally paying and used by businesses, public sector organisations and government departments.

The call rate varies greatly from one provider to another as well as if you are calling from a mobile or a landline.

BT and some other providers include 0845 and 0870 numbers as part of their phone package which means they are free for up to 1 hour.


Telephone area codes

0131 is the area code for the City of Edinburgh and the surrounding area. Local numbers have 7 digits so an Edinburgh number is 0131 xxx xxxx.

A Glasgow number is 0141 xxx xxxx.

Aberdeen and surroundings have a 5 digits area code (01224) and a 6 digits local number e.g. 01224 xxx xxx. 

practical-info.png Practical info

If you are in Edinburgh and are calling an Edinburgh number from a landline you do not have to dial 0131, only the 7 digit local number e.g. 123 4567.


Emergency phone numbers

Non Emergency Police Number

101 - To contact your local police officer in a non-emergency situation, dial 101. For example:

if your car has been stolen
your property has been damaged
you suspect drug use or dealing
you want to report a minor traffic collision, or
you want to give the police information about crime in your area.

Available 24/24, 7 days a week and costs a flat rate of 15p per call from both landline and mobile networks.

Deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or speech-impaired callers can access the service via TextRelay on 1 800 1 101.

111 - this is the free NHS 24 number. If you need medical advice when your GP practice is closed which cannot wait until your surgery is open, call 111.

999 - In an emergency situation always dial 999.  For example:

a life is in danger and you need an ambulance, police, fire brigade

a crime is in progress

a suspect is nearby.

What are you looking for?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-licence, etc) can prove they did their best to check that the person was 18 or over. It is …
Read More

Pupils at school are entitled to fee school meals if their parents (or themselves) receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, some type of Tax Credits or support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 19…
Read More

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing from airports in the European Union and to those EU- based airlines to airports in the EU. Com…
Read More

« Previous123456...15Next »

See also:


Utilities & Services

Can't find what you're looking for?

Try the search, another category, or register to contribute.

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility

What's new?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-…

Get this feed