Utilities & Services

all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Scottish Water & clean water services 

Scottish water and sewerage charges are automatically included in the Council tax (French equivalent of the "impôt foncier"). There is no separate bill. You can read the article about the Council Tax in the "Taxes" section to understand how it works.

To make it easy, "Scottish Water is a public company which provides clean water services and sewerage in Scotland. It reports to the Scottish Government and is benchmarked against the performance of private water companies in England and Wales” (source Wikipedia). 

Scottish Water decides how much you will pay for the water and sewerage services and the details will appear on your Council Tax bill. The money collected goes towards maintaining and improving water and waste water services.

Unmetered charges 2014-15

The following link to Scottish Water details the unmetered water charges for 2014-15 

Having unmetered charges means that your household is not fitted with a water meter and that your water bill is based on the council tax band for your home. You pay a set annual charge, regardless of your usage.

What does a water meter look like? 


• A water meter looks like a gas meter. It is round and has a row of numbers

• Only the black numbers are required to read the meter. They show how many cubic meters you've used

• Readings are usually needed twice a year

• Meters are normally fitted under the kitchen sink (next to the stop tap) or outside under a small manhole

Metered charges 2014-15

The following link to Scottish Water details the metered charges for 2014-15

You can opt to have a water meter installed (at your own cost) and Scottish water can advise you on this. Simply phone the Customer Helpline on 0845 601 8855 to ask about the costs involved (survey and installation charges, pipework, etc). The meter itself is supplied for free by Scottish Water.

Installing a water meter could help reduce your water bill if you:

• use relatively little water

• have a small household

• use water efficient methods and appliances

• make a conscious effort to use less water

What are you looking for?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-licence, etc) can prove they did their best to check that the person was 18 or over. It is …
Read More

Pupils at school are entitled to fee school meals if their parents (or themselves) receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, some type of Tax Credits or support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 19…
Read More

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing from airports in the European Union and to those EU- based airlines to airports in the EU. Com…
Read More

« Previous123456...15Next »

See also:


Utilities & Services

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility