all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Taxes, National Insurance and VAT in Scotland

OK… perhaps not the most glamorous of all sections but hey, everybody’s got to pay their taxes and the more you know about it the better, especially if you’re new to Scotland.

I’m not suggesting to talk about every single tax – I’m sure that some exist that nobody knows about - but simply to explain the ones that you’ll definitely have to pay so… apologies in advance!

In this section I'll give you practical information about income tax (and if you have to pay it based on your circumstances), income tax band, National Insurance, whether you are entitled to receive personal tax-free allowance to reduce tax, council tax, council tax band, stamp duty land tax and VAT.

Find out more about:



Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility

What's new?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-…