all you need for relocation to scotland: edinburgh

Taxes: Council Tax 2016/2017

The council tax is a local taxation paid to, yes, the…council. It helps pay for local services for instance, policing, road maintenance, rubbish collection, street lighting, water charges, local amenities…

did-you-know.png Did you know?

The Council Tax applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes and houseboats, whether owned or rented. Water charges are included in it.

Rates are set by each local authority (City of Edinburgh Council is one of them) and vary according to the value of the property.

You need 3 things to know how much you’ll pay for the council tax.

1. The tax band of your property, which you can find on the website of the Scottish  Assessors Association (SAA). Simply enter your postcode in the “To Search for a Council Tax Band” box, select your property and you’ll have the tax band (from A to H)

2. How much your local council charges for that band. The table below give the Council Tax charges 2014/15 for Edinburgh. For other Scottish local authorities check the Council Tax List on the SAA website.

Council tax band 2014/15 in the Lothians

Band House value Council tax
 A Up to £27,000 £779.33 
 B £27,001 to £35,000  £909.22 
 C £35,001 to £45,000  £1,039.11 
 D £45,001 to £58,000  £1,169.00 
 E £58,001 - £80,000  £1,428.78 
 F £80,001 to £106,000  £1,688.56 
 G £106,001 - £212,000  £1,948.33
 H Above £212,000  £2,338.00 

warning-32.png Council tax banding has been based on property prices at 1 April 1991 and it came into force on 1 April 1993. Any increase or fall in the value of a dwelling resulting from any general change in the housing market has not been taken into account. This explains why a property in Band D only attracts a value of £45,001 to £58,000. 

The good news is, there are no plans to revalue everyone's house in the foreseeable future!


3. Whether you are entitled to any discounts or exemptions. 

• If only 1 adult (over 18 years old) lives in the property, a 25% discount may apply

• If everyone who lives in a property is under 18 years old you may be able to get a 100% exemption on your Council Tax bill 

• If the property is empty (i.e. no one lives in it and it is unfurnished), a 100% discount may apply for up to 6 months from the date the property was last occupied for three months or more 

• If you are a full time student living alone in the property, you could receive a 100% exemption however, you MUST inform the council that you’re studying

• If the person who lives in the property is permanently disabled, a reduction applies

• If you are the only adult in the property and you receive Child Benefit for someone who is over 18 you may be able to get a 25% discount.

For more information, you can read the article on council tax benefits in the Employment & Benefits section.

The following link will also tell you if you are entitled to council tax benefit.

did-you-know.png Did you know?

Council Tax rates in all Scottish councils are lower than the UK average.


Find out how to pay the council tax

Councils are required to set their tax levels before 11 March and council tax bills are normally issued each spring. You normally pay your council tax over 10 months (nothing to pay in February and March). Edinburgh Council will let you know of the different ways by which you may pay your council tax. Existing methods are by monthly direct debit,online, by phone or postal order

If you have questions about your council tax in Edinburgh contact:

The City of Edinburgh Council

Income & Benefits Division

PO Box 12331



Telephone: (0044) (0)131 469 5000


Calls are answered Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30 - 17:00, Tuesday: 10:00 - 17:00, Friday: 8:30 - 15:40.

What are you looking for?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-licence, etc) can prove they did their best to check that the person was 18 or over. It is …
Read More

Pupils at school are entitled to fee school meals if their parents (or themselves) receive Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, some type of Tax Credits or support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 19…
Read More

If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you may be entitled to compensation. The rules apply to all flights departing from airports in the European Union and to those EU- based airlines to airports in the EU. Com…
Read More

« Previous123456...15Next »

See also:



Can't find what you're looking for?

Try the search, another category, or register to contribute.

Key to symbols

child-friendly-32.png Ideal for families gold-star.png Our rating system of 1-5 stars
did-you-know.png Did you know? warning-32.png Important alert
practical-info.png Timesaving information disabled-access-32.png Accessibility

What's new?

In Scotland, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless the landlord (in a pub, hotel club, off-…

Get this feed